PARTNER HIGHLIGHTS FROM ACROSS ALABAMA
Amplifying the voices of those working for change in Alabama by celebrating news, wins of all sizes, milestones, AND ways others could use support! Submit your news so we can celebrate you!
- Join the Alabama Rivers Alliance at Camp Beckwith for Alabama Water Rally 2023, Alabama's annual gathering of clean water advocates! There is an incredible opportunity before us – as River Defenders – as we pass the 50th anniversary of the Clean Water Act. Together, we must be ready for the Next Era of Clean Water Protection and capitalize on this moment. Registration is open now - scholarships available, too!
- The Alabama Rivers & Streams Network, along with the Alabama Mollusk & Crayfish Working Group, held their annual gatherings this month in Clanton. These groups meet annually for agencies, industries, universities, and NGOs to share updates on projects going on throughout the state during the rest of the year. Check out presentations presented to ARSN & AMCWG on their website AND their awesome new video!
- Energy Alabama is calling all students to join their network of people passionate about clean energy! Students can get involved in clean water action while their still in school with a student membership - apply for free.
- Spring training events are announced for the Alabama Water Stewards! Alabama Watershed Stewards is a science-based outreach program from the Auburn University Water Resources Center that promotes healthy watersheds, increases understanding of water pollution, and provides the knowledge and tools to approach water as a community asset. See Spring 2023 events.
- As a part of their Power on the Line campaign, Alabama Forward will be coming to cities across Alabama on the The Road to Democracy. Join plaintiffs from the Alabama redistricting case Milligan v. Merrill at a series of informative and interactive townhalls. Learn more.
- Congratulations to Freshwater Land Trust for their milestone of having removed over 20,000 pounds of trash from Alabama's waterways through their Litter Gitter Project! See how this litter stacks up with some comparison graphics on Facebook.
- Listen to Episode 1 of the Seeking A Green South podcast by Jaxon Tolbert as he is joined by Ankur Shah, environmental educator, geospatial data scientist at Climate Engine, and Director of Operations at Mycelium, to discuss his work and how it has catalyzed local climate action in Alabama, followed by a discussion of how southerners can catalyze local climate action in their own communities. Ankur & Jaxon are both leaders in the Huntsville Environmental Coalition! Congrats on the awesome episode!
- River Network, one of our national water advocacy partners, has refreshed their strategic plan for the next three years, which was informed by the results of their State of the Network 2022 survey. Learn more & see the results here.
This newsletter is created by a small team with limited resources, please use reply to this email or click below to email Victoria if you want submit newsletter items from your organization!